Employment Practices Liability
The number of employment-related lawsuits in Canada has been steadily increasing, and Employment Practices Liability coverage is critical in protecting you from the potentially catastrophic costs of employment litigation.
A company with solid employment practices is in an excellent position to defend itself in the event of employment litigation. However, the cost of mounting a defence can be enormous.
The costs of defending employment-related litigation have the potential to amount to thousands and even hundreds of thousands of dollars. When you spend this amount of money on legal fees, it is hard to feel like you have won.
Employment law has changed significantly in recent years reshaping the employer-employee relationship. The duty of care required by employers has risen to an unprecedented level as evidenced by the frequency and times of claims arising out of alleged wrongful employment torts.
WHO IS AT RISK:
The directors & officers, employees, leased employees, and independent contractors.
SOURCE OF RISK:
Employees (past, present, potential), customers, clients, visitors, and any other person.
WHAT ARE WRONGFUL EMPLOYMENT CONDUCT ALLEGATIONS?
- Actual or constructive wrongful dismissal including breach of the employment contract.
- Workplace or sexual harassment ( including offensive, intimidating, coercive or
- unwelcome conduct, advances, contact or communications)
- Employment-related misrepresentation
- Employment-related libel, slander, humiliation, invasion of privacy, emotional distress
- Wrongful failure to employ, promote or grant tenure
- Wrongful deprivation of career opportunity, wrongful demotion, or adverse change interms
- Wrongful discipline
- Negligent employee evaluation or the giving of negative or defamatory statements in
- connection with an employee reference
- Violation of an employee’s rights under the Charter of Rights & Freedoms relating to
- Wrongful Employment Conduct
- Failure to provide or enforce adequate or consistent corporate policies and procedures
- relating to Wrongful Employment Conduct
Insurance: Directors & Officers Liability Insurance with Employment Practices Liability extension or a stand-alone Employment Practices Liability insurance policy
Loss Control: Specialized measures to mitigate employment liability claims
*These coverage descriptions are for illustration purposes only. For full particulars, recourse must be made the actual policy wordings.
Connect with Benson Kearley IFG to learn more about Employment Practices Liability.